Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So long, farewell, aufwiedersehen, adieu....

I can't believe how incredible Gumtree is. It really does work to list your stuff there. How do I know this? Because something I thought would take MONTHS to sell, sold in less than 24 hrs!

The dealer from whom we bought my new car was unwilling to take my old car as a trade-in because it's an import. We decided to try to sell it privately, on Gumtree, and if that failed, to then go to the online sites, and if that failed, to then sell it for scrap.

So last night, I listed the car. This morning, I had a spate of calls from interested parties. They were vying with each other to be the first to bring me cold hard cash. The end result? My old car, imported from the UK, was sold within 24hrs of listing on Gumtree!

Part of me was very sad to see someone else drive away in my Michelle. She played a big part in our lives for so many years - she was from the pre-children era, and part of the process of us settling into life in the UK. And now she's gone. I hope her new owner doesn't drive around the same places I do - I'm not sure that I can bear seeing someone else in her all the time...

But the rest of me was ecstatic! I simply can't believe that we were able to sell her in such a short period of time, or that we managed to get our asking price for her. I'm thrilled that I consequently have the space to park my new baby in our driveway, without having to park a car outside on the street all night.

But it does feel weird. Looking out the kitchen window at the new car parked outside, I keep catching myself wondering who's visiting us and where my car is, and then in the same instant, remembering... and feeling both elated and mournful. Very weird emotional day all round.

No comments: