Friday, February 05, 2010

Do I smell funny, or am I just giving off funny vibes?

(You can tell I have more time... two posts in two days!)

So it seems this is my week for making people cry and throw their arms around me. It happened again today. Not just once, but twice. Count them - one, two!

The first time was, again, with one of my kids at school. She had been caught writing letters in class, and the letter was passed to me. I was disappointed at her behaviour, but I was concerned by the content. I GENTLY confronted her on it, and she burst into tears - not the good kind - and fell sobbing onto me. Really, I didn't do anything! I didn't wallop her, or threaten her, or even come across as stern with her... She just burst into tears.... It really wasn't my fault. A little while later she dropped by my class to give me another letter. She clearly hadn't got the message about writing letters during class!! (I can be such a failure at this educating thing sometimes.) Still, I guess I can forgive her for that as her letter was very sweet and she was suitably grateful for my concern.

The second time was later this afternoon, when I had to go and apologise to a neighbour for losing my temper with her earlier in the day. (That's a subject for another post another time.) Fair is fair. Although I had justification for being annoyed with her, it wasn't sufficient reason to lose my temper. So, rather bravely (I thought), I wandered over to apologise... by the end of which she was in tears and spontaneously gave me a hug. Actually, I was close to tears myself - I'm having this effect not just on others now but on myself as well!

I'm clearly giving off the 'cry & hug" vibes. Since I don't know what it is I'm doing to give off these vibes, I'm getting a bit nervous. When we go out for supper a bit later this evening, is the waitress suddenly going to cry and hug me? What about the parking attendant? What about our dinner companions??? We've promised Nellie to take her to the Aquarium tomorrow... as we walk along, will I leave a string of sobbing and hugging behind me?

What should I do? Should I hide away at home while the family goes out (and read some books), or should I brave the world and risk leaving a trail of emotionally affected women behind me? Should I stay or should I go? I guess THAT is the question since I can't answer the 'what is it about me right now that is making women cry and hug me?' question.

No comments: