Wednesday, December 09, 2009

6 months!!

Can you believe that our miracle boy is turning 6 months tomorrow? When you say it - "6 months" - sounds like forever, yet it feels like just a few days ago that he was born. In many ways it still feels like we're getting used to having him around, but in other ways it feels like he's been part of our lives for ages now.

Being slighly prem (not technically, since 36 weeks is no longer termed as a 'prem' delivery), I've been trying hard not to compare him to his peers. He is actually a month younger than his peers, which means he's going to take longer to reach his milestones. e.g. he only smiled at 10 weeks, instead of 6, but then, if you add on 4 weeks for his early delivery, he's bang on time.

My amazing son is doing so well; I'm just so proud of him. His achievements to date include:
  • outgrowing his colic
  • mostly outgrowing his reflux (he still has a small problem with this, but nothing dramatic)
  • smiling so readily at everyone and everything, till his eyes scrunch up
  • rolling from side-to-side for ages now (can't remember how early he was, but he was early in this one)
  • grasping toys and pulling them to his mouth
  • finding his toes (he loves playing with his toes)
  • finding his balls (he LOVES playing with his balls... even if I've just removed a poo nappy... oh yes, LOTS of fun that one!)
  • eating 3 meals a day now (starting on stage 2 food already)
  • pushing up on his arms until they are straight
  • pulling his knees up under his bum when he's on his tummy (crawling is not far off, methinks)
  • teething (consequently chewing on everything he can get his hands on or into his mouth, and drooling..... one bib per day is no longer nearly enough!)
  • sitting basically unaided (he still falls over, but he is getting so good at sitting by himself now - which he's so thrilled by)
  • rolling over!
The rolling over is new. He's been on the verge of it for weeks now, but couldn't figure out what to do with his arm that was in the way. On Monday morning I went in to find him on his back when I'd put him down on his tummy. I checked with G before rejoicing, but G confirmed: Nate turned himself over during the night!! Woo hoo!! My boy can turn himself over. Priscilla (our amazing nanny) witnessed it on Tuesday while they were at the park, so I know he's definitely able. All that remains is for me to witness it myself.

Thinking back over the past 6 months I think the thing that I have loved most about him is his nature. He is by nature such a happy, laid back child. He finds joy in everything - it seems to always be brimming just below the surface because it doesn't take much to make him grin or chuckle. He is SO different in nature to Nellie. She's a lot more like me - very serious by nature, tempremental, prone to temper tantrums, a real princess complex, but terribly affectionate. He is the exact opposite (although we have yet to see about the affectionate bit).

How I wound up with this child is a mystery to me. My body was constantly full of adrenalin because of my fears for his life (and mine) that I'm amazed his brain is wired for peace (rather than anxiety) and that he is so joyful. I'm grateful for it, don't get me wrong, because I don't think this household could manage another personality like mine! I am just mystified at how I could produce such a calm, happy baby....

Nathan, my gorgeous boy, well done on making it to 6 months! There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for your life and for you. You really are a 'Gift from God'. Watching how you have grown in love for Janel, and the dogs; watching how you grin at all and sundry who stop to talk to you; watching how hard you've been working to reach your milestones - though I know you don't view it like that; watching your desire to be on the move and your frusration that your body doesn't yet obey your will - all these things make me so intensely proud of you. I know that none of them are of my making, they are all you just being you. You are an incredible testimony of the grace of God at work in this world. May your joy be always overflowing and may it always bring healing to those around you, just as it does now to me and to this family. Happy 6 months, my darling!

No comments: