Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Talking?

I've been putting off blogging this for weeks now, because it's one of those biggies that marks the shift from babyhood into childhood - for me at least. But today I was given another clear example and so I really don't think I can anymore...

Yes, Janel has started to talk! She's not completely consistent, nor do I think that she has fully grasped the concept of words having meaning yet, but I do think she's made the first few break-throughs. She says 'Dada', and most often when she's looking at or for Graeme (and sometimes just at any random man!). She has also just started saying 'Ta' when she passes something to you, or wants you to pass her something.

And today - blow me down! - she said 'Ki' while pointing at a cat, and then again later as the cat disappeared through the cat flap she looked around for it while saying 'Ki' again!!!!! I didn't think she'd seen enough cats (which I've told her are called 'kitty') to know what they were, but obviously I was wrong. She's definitely seen more dogs, but 'Doggy' hasn't been uttered yet.... clearly she's going to be a cat person! (That's my girl!) I'm a little disappointed that she hasn't started saying 'Mama' yet, but then Daddy is definitely her favourite person, so it's not all that surprising really.

I guess what this all means is that my little baby is growing up!! There'll be no stopping her once she really gets the concept of words having meaning (and once her toungue develops sufficiently to make all the relevant phonics) - she already understands so much of what we say, and seems to have a lot she wants to say back. On Monday we were playing with the ball and most of the time when I asked her to fetch it, she did. When I say 'Where's ...?' she usually looks around, so she's got the concept of 'Where', even if she doesn't know what object I'm asking her to look for.

She definitely also understands 'no' amd is already starting to push the boundaries with this one. We allow her to stand at the bookcase, but not to touch the books (she's already destroyed the jacket of one). So now she looks at us, while trying to stroke the spines, just to check whether we will say or do anything. Sigh! I get so tired of having to say 'no' 1000 times for the same object or action. Consistency, consistency. This parenting thing is exhausting! I can really understand now why so many parents opt for the TV as a babysitter! Actually getting down on hands and knees to play with your kids all the time, and parent them properly, takes a lot more energy and determination than feels comfortable.

I was just thinking that I wish she'd learn after just a few times of me saying something, and then was thinking about the kids I teach at school. At ages 11 plus, they STILL don't learn after a few times, so I can't really expect her to! If I feel like a stuck record at school, with kids who supposedly can think rationally (ha ha ha!!!), then a baby must surely have a lot more leeway in terms of learning experiences. Patience, Nicole, patience!

I'm finding the whole process of watching her grow up so exciting! Every development feels like such a major milestone and I'm so thrilled and privileged to be able to take part in it. The only regret I have is that I wasn't home to take part in this process with my nieces and nephews who are all older than Janel is. It makes me realise just how precious an experience it is and just what I've lost with them..... another reason to be heading home ASAP. (Jem - the flights aren't yet booked, but I promise you we'll be home next year!!!! Definitely before the end of winter, but hopefully well before then!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Testing